CanmetENERGY, in support of Natural Resources Canada’s international mandate, provides technical support to the building and renewable energy sector. Part of our mandate is to help position Canadian industry as an international leader in developing new and innovative technology solutions to address climate change challenges for the Canadian market place. We collaborate with some of the best scientists and research institutions around the world and we have unique access to international innovations. Our experts are scouring the world for new and innovative technologies, products and services that could be adapted here in Canada to help us address our domestic climate change priorities.
We are active in some of the most important strategic international science and technology (S&T) initiatives including a wide range of international S&T bilateral and multilateral working groups and committees. We not only share and contribute to the knowledge base of technological solutions to climate change within the buildings and renewable sector, but we work to represent Canada’s interest on important international regulatory and standards issues.
Some of our international bilateral and multilateral activities include:
- International Energy Agency (IEA)
- IEA Greenhouse Gas R&D Programme
- IEA Clean Coal Centre
- IEA Heat Pump Program (Annex 31 and Annex 34)
- IEA - ECBCS Cost-effective Commissioning for Existing and Low Energy Buildings (Annex 47)
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- North American Energy Working Group
- Asia-Pacific Partnership (APP) - Buildings and Appliance Task Force
- Canada-Mexico Partnership
- Canada-China MOU on Transfer of Small Hydro Technologies
- International Building Performance Simulation Association
- Canada-Japan Housing Research and Development Committee
- Canada-Chile Energy Working Group
Teaming with international partners, we also undertake targeted international collaborative research, demonstration and deployment projects. We use these activities to assist in identifying and adapting foreign products for the Canadian market place, and vice versa. As a premiere and well respected research and technology centre, we can use our international credibility to facilitate strategic projects with international partners. These projects not only contribute to accelerating Canada’s own climate change goals but contribute to the economic prosperity of the Canadian energyindustry.
Internationally, CanmetENERGY provides a critical energy technology perspective, working closely with private industry as well as other federal departments such as:
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation: International
- Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
- Industry Canada International
- Canadian International Development Agency
- Environment Canada
We also work to identify critical technologies offshore that can be introduced to Canada to address our energy and climate change challenges. Adapting offshore technologies for the Canadian marketplace often requires technological adaptation to meet our challenging climate, North American lifestyles or regulations, and standards. We do this by working with innovative companies who are prepared to invest in adapting these technologies for the Canadian or North American marketplace. We offer state of the art laboratory and testing facilities combined with researchers, scientists, and business development professionals who assess the potential of an offshore energy technology. Our professionals can then guide entrepreneurs in strategic investments to fully capitalize on offshore innovations for the Canadian or North American marketplace.